Notice to Suppliers: Fraudulent Purchase Order Email Activity
We want to alert you to an email scam involving purchase orders and request for product quotations that present the appearance to originate from Wabtec Corporation, but are in fact fraudulent. While Wabtec cannot prevent this illegal activity, we are actively working with law enforcement to investigate these fraudulent email contacts.
We can share some common traits or themes of these fraudulent emails that may help reduce risk of becoming a financial victim of this scam:
- The email message is poorly written, with misspellings and awkward sentence structure
- The sender’s email address or website link are not authentic to Wabtec’s email address
- Fraudulent email address examples using misspelled variants of Wabtec.com:
- vvabtec.com (two v’s not w)
- The message may include an attachment that is designed to look like a purchase order, may include a logo or other graphic, and a signature that may look legitimate
If you believe you have received a fraudulent email that appears to be from Wabtec Corporation, you may forward it to our Information Security Department: to verify its legitimacy before responding to the email or filling the order.
If you are the victim of purchase order fraud, it’s important to contact local law enforcement and the FBI. You should also report the crime to the Internet Complaint Center (IC3).
IC3 Website: http://www.ic3.gov